Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Learn Chinese - Han Meilin, designer of the Fuwa

   Chinadaily Homepage

  | Home | Destination Beijing | Sports | Olympics | Photo | 

  2008Olympics > Designers

Han Meilin, designer of the Fuwa

By Cruz Fang (Chinadaily.com.cn)
Updated: 2006-08-22 22:20

The translated script of an interview on Olympic Mascots designer Han
Meilin. (Beijing Times, November 3, 2005)

Han Meilin and the Fuwa. [Xinhua]
Reporter: How did you come out with the image of the Fuwa

Han: The Fuwa were based on the prototypes given to me by Mr. Wu Guanying
from the Tsinghua University Fine Arts Institute. On February 2 on
China's lunar calendar (March 11, 2005), after spending a fruitless night
on them, I couldn't go on with my work. So I took a cold-water shower.
While I was bathing, the idea flashed across my head - why not let these
creatures wear headgears with animal characteristics.

Reporter: The athleticism is a core factor to Olympic mascots design. How
did you handle this?

Han: After deciding on the primary look of the Fuwa, we went through a
great amount sports materials, text and graphic, to draft the firendlies
practicing different sports. Panda practices weightlifting; Tibetan
antelope running; fish swimming ��etc. But when all the drafts were
combined first, they looked a bit clumsy than we thought. It was from the
images of Tibetan antelope that we finally drew inspirations to tackle
this problem.

The first draft Han Meilin drew for the Fuwa.

Reporter: How many changes did you make along the process?

Han: We all together have more than 4000 manuscripts inside the process
and more than 60 changes were made to the prototypes.

Reporter: Styles may differ within a designing team. Were there any
disputes?

Han: Sure. You may like a color others don't like; you may favor a image
others don't favor. We used to think about the proposal of rattle-drum,
but when a drum was added legs, it turned out somewhat unacceptable to
me. So we dropped it.

Reporter: You were severely sick during the period?
Han: Yes, two times of heart-attack, but I was back after receiving
emergent surgeries.

Reporter: How much did the Olympics organization committee pay for your
work?
Han: I don't want any payment, besides the copyright, but the committee
rewarded me one yuan.

Other candidates for 2008 Olympics mascots
Reporter: Do you have regrets over the Fuwa?
Han: Yes. The biggest regret that held me now is that the Fuwa failed to
embody the great art of Chinese calligraphy. We tried for thousands of
times, but the results came out unsatisfactory.

Reporter: Among the five, which is your favorite?
Han: All these five were from my hands. I am like their father. There's
no preference inside me. But picking up the color for Nini (swallow)
tortured my team really, so the color side of Nini is a bit
unsatisfactory to us.

1 2 

Learn Chinese

No comments: